Facility Maintenance Manager
MOBILE AIRPORT AUTHORITY
JOB CLASS SPECIFICATION
Date Approved: 07/09
JOB TITLE: Facility Maintenance Manager
REPORTS TO: Operations Superintendent
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The principle purpose of the Maintenance Manager is to provide significant leadership to the maintenance organization at the Mobile Regional Airport, Mobile Downtown Airport, and the Brookley Aeroplex to move in a positive direction that will align with the Mobile Airport Authority’s vision and mission. To plan, coordinate and administer a path forward for a safe, efficient and successful maintenance organization. The Maintenance Manager should successfully set goals and objectives that will drive performance development and productivity of maintenance teams and ensure preventative maintenance procedures are being performed and adhered to in order to properly maintain all assets and reduce downtime of systems vital to daily operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work closely with team including working cross functionally with other Mobile Airport Authority (MAA) departments in order to fully utilize expert resources and implement programs that align with MAA’s mission statement.
- Coordinate with subordinate supervisors to plan and schedule tasks by assigning work orders to team members. Make daily checks to ensure adequate progress is being made on work assignments. Examine and determine cause if assignments did not progress as scheduled and initiate corrective action to facilitate and develop a path to follow for successful completion of future assignments.
- Set obtainable goals and objectives to clearly identify and guide subordinate supervisors and team in the right direction and hold them accountable when objectives are not being met. Regularly provide departmental progress updates and coordinate projects with supervisors to ensure overall objectives are being met in a timely manner.
- Oversee and ensure Preventative Maintenance checklists are prepared and followed through of automated systems that include, but are not limited to, Fire Alarm Systems, HVAC and Boilers, Jet Bridges, and Bag-Belt Conveyors. Perform quality control checks on repairs and preventive maintenance tasks.
- Direct, through subordinate supervisors, facilities maintenance services, which include building maintenance, custodial, pavement and grounds maintenance, as well as technical systems maintenance services which include electrical, electronic, and HVAC/Utility activities.
- Prepare preventive, standard and emergency maintenance procedures; study and evaluate new maintenance procedures, techniques, and equipment for possible implementation; attend and participates in conferences; keep abreast of new federal and state regulations affecting the maintenance of airports.
- Confer with representatives of airlines, concessionaires, tenants and other persons using the airport and industrial complex facilities to determine timing of maintenance and repair activities of tenant occupied space and extent of the Airport Authority’s responsibility for such work.
- Prepare operating budget proposal for area of maintenance responsibility; approve requisitions and maintain work and vacation schedules; direct contracted maintenance services; participate at airport staff meetings; make recommendations to establish policies affecting maintenance activities.
- Prepare and update bid documents associated with annual contracts, equipment acquisitions, and other services.
- Work schedules, to include rotating shifts, hours of work and days off may be changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor. This is an on-call position with the ability to respond on a 24/7/365 basis.
- Ensure safety procedures are defined and adhered to and conduct monthly departmental safety meetings.
- Work with departmental supervisors and team members by providing coaching and counseling and receiving open feedback from teams with the goal to improve the facilities and drive performance development.
- Regular, routine attendance at work is critical to produce effective results in this position.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of supervisor, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Uphold the highest ethical and legal standards and conduct as it relates to procurement and contractor bidding and management. Ensure compliance with MAA and regulatory standards such as City, County, State, and Federal agencies including FAA and TSA. Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers and promote a positive team attitude with facility and grounds support staff. Professionally and effectively interact with tenants, the public, contractors, public work agencies, utility employees and other team members. Handle complaints, settle disputes, and resolve conflicts in a professional manner. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Principles, practices, techniques and equipment utilized in maintenance of large airport installations.
- Knowledge of the use of metrics to quantify daily activities and preventative maintenance (KPIs).
- Practices and techniques involved in implementing a program of building maintenance and repair.
- Current management and administrative principles related to maintenance organizations.
- The operations and maintenance of major air conditioning, heating, mechanical and electrical systems.
- The occupational hazards and safety precautions involved in airport and industrial park maintenance.
- Preventive maintenance programs required for large buildings, pavements and grounds and the varied types of maintenance equipment used in such work.
- The principles and techniques used in scheduling work, assigning priorities, estimating size and composition of staff and calculating costs of staff time, equipment and materials for a maintenance program.
- Effective leadership methods and techniques.
- Excellent and proven leadership skills to lead and motivate team members to achieve the highest level of performance is required.
- Apply modern management and administrative principles to airport and related building maintenance activities.
- Must be able to effectively use computer software including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, representatives of airlines, concessionaires and tenants.
- Must be able to express ideas effectively and efficiently, both orally and in writing.
- Determine if and when equipment replacement is appropriate.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Must be able to meet and maintain Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements authorizing unescorted access entry to Security Identification Display Area (SIDA).
Minimum Training and Experience
A combination of equivalent work experience and education will be considered. High school education (diploma or GED) is Required. College degree (Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree) in related field is Highly Desirable. Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in a facility maintenance environment (preferably a large facility) with a minimum of five (5) of those years being in management/supervision of maintenance, contracting, and/or construction role is required. Planning and scheduling work for employees, working with computerized systems, as well as the capability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
Must adapt to changing working environments and inclement weather.